“Greatness is not this wonderful, esoteric elusive god-like feature that only special people possess. It’s something that truly exists within all of us.” – Will Smith
Will Smith is one of the most prolific entertainers in the world today. He’s been in countless blockbuster movies and is undoubtedly one of the most famous entertainers on the planet today. Smith is also very outspoken about what he believes it takes to achieve success.
Here are 8 of Will Smith’s Secrets of Success derived from various interviews.
Lesson #1: Dream Big.
It’s unrealistic to walk in a room, flip a switch and have the lights come on. That’s unrealistic – fortunately Thomas Edison didn’t think so. It’s unrealistic to think you’re going to bend a piece of metal and fly people over an ocean in a tube of metal. That’s unrealistic, but fortunately the Wright Brothers didn’t believe that. It just seems like such a ridiculous idea for me to embrace the idea that it’s not going to happen, “that it’s not real”. – Will Smith
I think there’s a certain delusional quality that all successful people have to have. You have to believe that something different than what has happened for the last 50 million years of history. You have to believe that something different can happen, and that you can be the one to do it. – Will Smith
Being realistic is the most commonly traveled road to mediocrity. Why would you be realistic. What’s the point of being realistic? – Will Smith
Lesson #2: Decide on a Goal.
- This is what I believe, and I’m willing to die for it. Period. – Will Smith
- I know who I am, I know what I believe, and that’s all I need to know. – Will Smith
- There’s a redemptive power that making a choice has. Rather than feeling like you’re just affected by all the things happening, make a choice. DECIDE what you’re gonna be, who you’re gonna be and how you’re gonna do it. Just decide. From that point on, the Universe is gonna get out your way. – Will Smith
Lessons #3: Believe You Can Achieve It.
- The first step before anyone else in the world believes it, is you have to believe it. – Will Smith
- You can’t be scared to die for the truth. The truth is the only thing that’s ever going to be constant. – Will Smith
- If I want to do it, it’s done done. It’s already done the second I decide it’s done, it’s already done, now we just have to wait for ya’ll to see. – Will Smith
Lesson #4: Visualize Success.
- The universe is not a thing that’s going to push us around. People, the world and situations are not going to push us around. We are going to bend the universe. We are going to command and DEMAND that the universe become what we want it to be. – Will Smith
- We didn’t grow up with the sense that where we were was where we were going to be. We grew up with the sense that where we were almost didn’t matter, because we were becoming something greater. – Will Smith
- Our thoughts, feelings, dreams, and ideas are physical in the Universe. If we dream something, if we picture something, and if we commit ourselves to it – that is a physical thrust towards realization that we send out into the universe. – Will Smith
Lesson #5: Work Harder Than The Competition.
- The separation of talent and skill is one of the greatest misunderstood concepts for people who are trying to excel. Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours of beating on your craft. – Will Smith
- I’ve never viewed myself as particularly talented; Where I excel is ridiculous, sickening work ethic. While the other guys sleeping, I’m working. While the other guys eating, I’m working. – Will Smith
- There’s no easy way around it. No matter how talented you are, your talent is going to fail you if you’re not skilled. if you don’t study, work really hard and dedicate yourself to getting better every single day. You’ll never be able to communicate your artistry to people the way that you want. – Will Smith
Lesson #6: Help Other People.
- It’s an idea that my grandmother always had, that if you’re going to be here then there’s a necessity to make a difference. She always instilled the responsibility, the spiritual responsibility that you have to make every group you come in contact with better. – Will Smith
- I want to do good, I want the world to be better because I was here. I want my life, my work, and my family to mean something. If you’re not making someone else’s life better then you’re wasting your time. Your life will become better by making other lives better. – Will Smith
- I want to represent an idea. I want to represent possibilities. I want to represent the idea that you really can make what you want. One of my favorite books is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I just believe that. I believe that I can create whatever I want to create. – Will Smith
Lesson #7: Focus on One Thing at a Time.
- One summer his dad tore down a brick wall in the front of his business and told 12 year old Will and his 9 year old brother to rebuild it. A job they said was impossible. It took them a year and a half – but they did it. And he said “now don’t you ever tell me there’s something that you can’t do.” You don’t try to build a wall, you don’t set out to build a wall. You don’t set out and say “I’m going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that’s ever been built.” You don’t start there. You say, “I’m going to lay this brick, as perfectly as a brick can be laid”, and you do that every single day, and soon you have a wall. – Will Smith
- There’s no reason to have a Plan B because it distracts from Plan A. – Will Smith
- I realize that to have the level of success that I want to have is difficult to do many things. It takes such a desperate obsessive focus, you really gotta focus with all of your heart, all of your fiber and all of your creativity. – Will Smith
Lesson #8: Never Give Up On Your Dreams.
- Confucius said, ‘He who says he can, and he who says he can’t are both usually right’. – Will Smith
- The only thing that I see that is distinctly different about me is that i’m not afraid to die on a treadmill. You might have more talent than me, you might be smarter than me, but if we get on a treadmill together – there’s two things. You’re getting off first, or I’m gonna die, it’s really that simple. – Will Smith
- Don’t ever let someone tell you that you can’t do something. You got a dream? Protect it. If people can’t do something themselves they want to tell you that you can’t do it. You want something? Go get it. Period. – Will Smith